Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 21 - early turkey

Thanksgiving is one of my very favorite times of year, and it's not only because I love turkey. It brings back memories of sitting around the dining room table with my family, eating fancy fruit salad appetizers, sharing stories of thanks, and of course, biting into that big roasted bird. Mmmm.

Tyler and I were at Safeway doing a bit of grocery shopping a week or so ago, and we noticed that the holiday displays were up and that many of our favorite items were on sale.

Including turkeys.

In fact, we were able to purchase a 14 lb turkey for $3.49.

No joke. That is not a typo.

So we bought a turkey for under $4, despite it being a full 3 weeks before Thanksgiving AND neither of us knowing how to cook one. 'We'll figure it out,' we said together... after all, how hard can it be?

We were going to a potluck dinner this past Saturday, so we decided to give the roasting a try that day. Tyler bravely stepped up to the oven and took the lead on creating the masterpiece that is the turkey, as I had important wedding shopping plans for the better part of the day with Sharon. Before I left, we dug out the neck (gross) and searched high and low (literally) for the giblet bag. We were convinced that they had 'forgotten' to include it, and almost put the turkey in the oven with it still in. Finally, we found it (sort of like finding the prize in the cereal box as a little kid!), and into the oven the turkey went.

By the time I arrived home from my expedition, I had a delicious carved turkey waiting for me! We brought it to our potluck and it was met with raving reviews. I enjoyed that same turkey for days after, and last night my dinner of leftovers looked like this!

And roast turkey is pretty low in calories.... too bad those crescent rolls aren't!

No comments:

Post a Comment